Sometimes it's hard to know how to cook an omega-rich, oily fish. Here is one of our favourites. This recipe works equally well for any oily fish such as herrings and sardines, although the cooking time will change depending on the size of the fish.
Preparation time: about 15 minutes
Cooking time: about 40 minutes
300g (11oz) small new potatoes, cut into 2cm (¾ in) slices
3 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
salt and ground black pepper
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 large or 3–4 small mackerel fillets, cleaned and deboned
watercress and tomato salad, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven) mark 4.
- Put the potatoes into a shallow dish, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with 3 tbsp thyme leaves, salt and lots of pepper.
- Coat the potatoes well, then bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden and tender when pricked with a fork.
- Mix the remaining oil, the sherry vinegar and the remaining thyme with salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Put the mackerel skin-side up on top of the potatoes and spoon over the herby dressing.
- Put it back into the oven and cook for 15–20 minutes until the mackerel is cooked and slightly crispy.
Serve with a watercress and tomato salad.
Remove the crispy skin if you have a sore or dry mouth to make it easier to eat.