Simon’s breakfast or anytime ShakshukaNourish Champion Simon Gale has shared the recipe for this nutritious breakfast. He says: ‘Start your day with this epic, hearty breakfast dish from Israel. It’s something of an institution there and shared in a large pot straight to the table by many families. I love the fiery mix of roasted peppers, sweet cherry tomatoes, beans, garlic and authentic spices, cumin, caraway and smoky paprika, all topped off with a layer of baked eggs. Serve with crispy toasted bread.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cooking time:1 hour
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Put all the ingredients, except the eggs, into a large casserole dish. Give it a gentle stir and bake for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crack the eggs on to the baked mixture with the lid off, baking for the final 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dusting of paprika, freshly milled black pepper, crumbs of feta cheese and a large handful of freshly chopped parsley. And share.
- 600g cherry tomatoes
- 400g roasted red and yellow peppers
- 600g mixed beans
- 1 small sourdough loaf, torn into pieces
- 150g Pepperdew peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 4-5 large eggs
- small handful parsley, to serve
- feta cheese, to serve
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.