Serves 3-4 as a side dish, 2-3 as a main course
Preparation Time: 10 minutes, plus 20 minutes resting time
Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
- For the aubergines
- 2 medium aubergines, cut in half lengthways
- 100ml olive oil
- seeds from 4 cardamom pods, ground (optional)
- For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- squeeze of lemon or lime juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mint or basil leaves, torn
- sea salt and ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Put the aubergines in a roasting tin and drizzle with the olive oil. Shake the roasting tin to ensure the aubergines are coated. Season with salt, lots of black pepper and the cardamom, if using. Roast for 40-45 minutes until the aubergines are soft and toasted. Leave the aubergines to rest for 20 minutes.
To make the dressing, mix the yoghurt, tahini, lemon or lime juice and olive oil in a blender or with a whisk. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Pour the dressing over the aubergines, sprinkle with the mint or basil and serve.
Butternut squashed with mushrooms