RibollitaThis wonderfully chunky Tuscan soup is a complete meal in a bowl. Enjoy it piping hot as a comforting winter warmer or, during the warmer months, serve it at room temperature with a drizzle of green olive oil.
Prep time:20 minutes
Cooking time:45 minutes
- Sauté the onions, carrots, garlic and celery for around 15 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cannellini beans with the reserved water or vegetable stock. Simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the bread and kale to the soup, stir and season.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes, adding more water or stock if necessary.
- Just before serving, add a squeeze of lemon juice to the soup and stir in the torn basil leaves.
- Serve in bowls, topped with a drizzle of olive oil.
Photograph by Jules/StoneSoup License
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, washed and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 dessertspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250g cooked cannellini beans with or 1 x 400g can (reserve cooking or can water)
- 500ml cooking or can water from the cannellini beans, or vegetable stock
- 125g sourdough bread, torn into pieces
- 75g kale, cavolo near or Savoy cabbage
- squeeze of lemon juice
- handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.