Play around with tastes and textures with three grains and three delicious toppings. Wonderfully rich in fibre, yet soft on the gut, this porridge is fantastic.
Preparation Time: about 5 minutes
Cooking Time: about 5 minutes
- For the porridge, choose one grain or mix together:
- organic rolled porridge oats
- organic millet flakes
- organic brown rice flakes
- Banana, almond & maple syrup topping
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (or ground almonds)
- 1 tablespoon hemp oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Berries, apple & ground seeds topping
- handful of mixed blueberries, blackberries and raspberries
- 1 teaspoon apple concentrate mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄2 organic apple or pear, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground seeds
- Sticky fruit compote topping
- 300g mixed dried fruit (choose from prunes, apricots, peaches, blueberries, figs, raisins, sultanas, dates or any other dried fruit that you enjoy)
For the porridge
In a saucepan, mix 1 cup of grain, 1 cup of dairy or nondairy milk and 1½ cups of water.
Put the pan on a gentle heat and stir for 5 minutes or so until you have a thick, creamy porridge.
Dish up and stir in your chosen topping.
Banana, almond & maple syrup topping
Using a fork, mash up the banana in a bowl.
Add all other ingredients and keep mashing until you are left with a sweet paste to stir through the porridge.
Berries, apple & ground seeds topping
Heat the berries and apple concentrate very gently in a pan until the berries start to soften.
Add the grated apple or pear and, after a quick stir, pour on top of the porridge and sprinkle with ground seeds.
Sticky fruit compote topping
Put the fruit into a pan and add enough boiling water to cover.
Leave until the fruits are starting to look plump (30 minutes–1 hour) and then simmer for 20–30 minutes.
When cooled slightly, pour into a food processor and blitz until smooth.