Naturally sweet, packed with fibre and yet easy to digest, these soft and fluffy baked apples are a wonderful comfort food.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- 50g sultanas
- 50g dried unsulphured apricots, finely chopped
- 25g currants
- 25g dried figs, stalks removed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pure fruit apple and pear spread
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dried coconut shavings (optional)
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces (optional)
- 4 cooking apples
- custard, natural yoghurt or ice cream, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Make the filling by putting all the ingredients, except the apples, cinnamon sticks and sugar, in a bowl. Mix together then leave for 20 minutes to allow the flavours to blend.
Core the apples and stuff the mixture into the middle. If you want to increase the amount of filling, cut the apples in half crossways, fill the core and let the filling spread over the top of the cut side.
Put the apples on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar and top with a shard of cinnamon stick, if using.
Cover with foil and bake on the middle shelf of the over for 25-30 minutes, until the apples are soft. Serve with custard, natural yoghurt or ice cream.
The apples are also delicious cold and make a tasty breakfast dish.