Forced rhubarb comes into season in January. It has a beautiful vibrant pink colour and is a good source of fibre and vitamin C. Add this to porridge or granola and yoghurt for breakfast, or serve as a dessert with custard or Greek yoghurt.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
200g golden caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, split in half and seeds removed
• Preheat the oven to 180°C.
• Put the sugar, water, vanilla pods and seeds into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
• Cut the rhubarb in to 3-inch batons and place in an ovenproof dish.
• Pour the syrup over the rhubarb and place in the oven.
• Cook for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb is very soft but just holding its shape.
• Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then remove the rhubarb from the syrup and place it in a sealed container.
• Serve with Greek yoghurt or crème fraiche.
Reserve the syrup; it can be used to make delicious jellies or added to sparkling water to make a refreshing drink.