Forced rhubarb comes into season in January. It has a beautiful vibrant pink colour and is a good source of fibre and vitamin C. Add this to porridge or granola and yoghurt for breakfast, or serve as a dessert with custard or Greek yoghurt.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cooking time:5-10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the sugar, water, vanilla pods and seeds into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the rhubarb in to 3-inch batons and place in an ovenproof dish.• Pour the syrup over the rhubarb and place in the oven.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb is very soft but just holding its shape.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then remove the rhubarb from the syrup and place it in a sealed container.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt or crème fraiche.
Reserve the syrup; it can be used to make delicious jellies or added to sparkling water to make a refreshing drink.
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200ml water
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half and seeds removed
- 500g rhubarb
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.