Handy healthy snacks to make in advance for a picnic or a day out. Great for boosting your fibre, calcium and zinc intake, these deliciously moreish bars not only hit the 'I want something sweet' hit, but also help you do so wisely.
Preparation time: about 20 minutes
Cooking time: about 15 minutes
175g unsalted butter
75g pear and apricot spread or prune spread
175g raw demerara sugar
250g organic jumbo oats
75g pecan nut halves
75g dried dates
75g dried apricots
30g pumpkin seeds
25g sunflower seeds
25g Good Seed
50g ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Gas Mark 5 and line a 23cm square baking tin with greased baking parchment.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter, then add the honey, spread and sugar and stir until they are all dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to the boil for 1–2 minutes.
- This will make the sugar caramelise to form a really sticky sauce.
- Add all the other ingredients, mix really well and pour into your cake tin.
- Pat everything down so it is nice and firm, then place in the oven for 20 minutes until the edges go golden.
- Leave to cool, tip it out and slice into bars.