This is another quick-to-throw-together meal, turning three ingredients you’re likely to have in your cupboard/fridge into a delicious supper – for when you’re not in the mood, or haven't got the energy, to make anything more complicated. Cheese and eggs are both great sources of protein, but the reason I particularly love this is that the whisked eggs feel light on the stomach.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes
1 large Lion stamp egg, separated
4 slices of wholegrain bread
a scraping of butter
50g mature cheddar or other hard cheese, grated
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper
• In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg white until fluffy and firm, in other words, until you have stiff peaks that will hold. Turn the bowl over on to a clean surface while you prepare the rest of the meal – this means that the egg white will remain fluffy!
• Heat your grill and toast the bread on one side, then turn over and lightly butter the untoasted side.
• Lightly beat the egg yolk.
• Turn over the egg white bowl and lightly (this is important, because you want to keep as much air in the mixture as possible, as this makes the cheese mixture light and fluffy – hence the name) stir in the grated cheese, mustard, a couple of twists of black pepper and the egg yolk – I use a metal spoon and make simple cuts through the middle, and don’t beat.
• Simply spoon the cheese mixture on to the untoasted side of the bread and pop back under the grill for about 2 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Eat straight away, either on its own, or with thinly sliced deep red tomatoes on top.