Roast mackerel with potatoes & thymeSometimes it's hard to know how to cook an omega-rich, oily fish. Roasting is one of our favourite methods as it's so simple. This recipe works equally well for any oily fish such as herrings and sardines, although the cooking time will change depending on the size of the fish.
Prep time:about 15 minutes
Cooking time:about 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven) mark 4.
- Put the potatoes into a shallow dish, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with 3 tbsp thyme leaves, salt and lots of pepper.
- Coat the potatoes well, then bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden and tender when pricked with a fork.
- Mix the remaining oil, the sherry vinegar and the remaining thyme with salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Put the mackerel skin-side up on top of the potatoes and spoon over the herby dressing.
- Put it back into the oven and cook for 15–20 minutes until the mackerel is cooked and slightly crispy.
Serve with a watercress and tomato salad.
Remove the crispy skin if you have a sore or dry mouth to make it easier to eat.
- 300g small new potatoes, cut into 2cm slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 large or 3–4 small mackerel fillets, cleaned and deboned
- watercress and tomato salad, to serve
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.