Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
20g of pine kernels
1/2 or1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
1 tsp of coarse sea salt
4 large handfuls of basil (approximately 30g), washed and dried in a salad spinner or with kitchen roll
100ml of good quality olive oil
30g of parmesan, grated
30g of pecorino, grated (or use parmesan as an alternative)
salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
- Place the pine kernels on a baking tray an toast lightly for 5-10 minutes, until slightly golden in colour. Set a timer to avoid burning the nuts
- Place the garlic, sea salt and half the basil in a food processor or blender
- Add the oil and pulse until the mixture is a smooth paste
- Add the remaining basil and the toasted pine kernels to the food processor and pulse, leaving larger chunks of pine kernels and basil
- Add more oil if the mixture is too stiff
- Place in a mixing bowl and fold in the grated parmesan and pecorino (if using).
- Season to taste
If not eating immediately, pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days.