Pasta with tomato sauce & Parmesan
Wonderfully satisfying comfort food that also happens to be packed with antioxidants from the vegetable-rich sauce.
Different sorts of pasta for those with special dietary requirements – rice, corn and spelt, for example – are easy to get hold of these days and are perfect for this recipe.
Prep time:about 15 minutes
Cooking time:about 55 minutes
Preheat the oven to 220ºC/Gas Mark 7.
- Put the tomatoes and butternut squash into a deep roasting tray, splash on some oil and pop into the oven for 30 minutes, until the tomatoes and squash are very soft.
- Scrape the flesh from the squash and put this and the tomatoes into a blender. Add 250ml stock and blitz. Pass through a sieve to remove the seeds and tomato skin (this is much quicker than peeling your tomatoes beforehand).
- In a large saucepan heat a splash of oil, then add the onion, celery, garlic, carrots and courgette and cook until the veg are soft.
- Add the tins of tomatoes and the remaining stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool a little.
- Pour both mixtures into a processor or use a stick blender to whiz until smooth.
- Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling, slightly salted water, following instructions on the packet. Drain.
- Heat the avocado oil in a pan, add the courgette and carrot and cook for 3–4 minutes until soft.
- Add the tomato sauce and heat through. Stir in the pasta, top with Parmesan and simply dish up
The tomato sauce can now be used as the base for any number of recipes, adding several vegetables to a dish in one easy go.
- couple of handfuls of pasta
- splash of avocado oil
- 1 small courgette, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 200ml tomato batch sauce (see below)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
For the tomato batch sauce (makes approximately 1.6 litres)
- 600g very ripe tomatoes
- 1 small butternut squash, chopped into big pieces and deseeded
- splash olive oil
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 courgette, chopped into small pieces
- 2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.