Orecchiette with sprouting broccoli, kale & chilli
Tenderstem broccoli is available from June to November. Its sweet and delicate flavour works very well with the garlic and chilli here.
Ricotta Salata is a delicious addition to this dish. It is a salted, pressed and aged ricotta, with a much firmer texture to traditional ricotta and a similar flavour to feta. It is available in some supermarkets and Italian delis, but if you are struggling to find it, substitute Pecorino or Parmesan instead.
Adapted from a recipe by Angela Hartnett
Prep time:10 minutes
Cooking time:10 minutes
- Blanch the broccoli in a pan of boil salted water for 1-2 minutes until it is just cooked but still firm. Repeat this with the cavolo nero or kale. Set the vegetables aside.
- Bring a large pot of boiling salted water to a rolling boil. Cook the orecchiette until al dente, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the garlic and chilli and sauté on a low to medium heat, without adding any colour.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and toss through.
- When the pasta is cooked drain well, reserving a few tablespoons of the starchy cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the pan with the vegetable, garlic and chilli and mix through. Add a little of the starchy cooking water to loosen, if needed.
- Serve with grated cheese, salt and freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes for some extra heat.
- 200g Tenderstem Broccoli, ends trimmed
- 100g cavolo nero or kale, stems removed
- 400g orecchiette pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 50g Ricotta Salata, pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.