Dad's favourite coffee & walnut cakeThis is Jane's dad's favourite cake. He is living with dementia, so comfort and familiarity is so important to him. She makes sure to chop the walnuts finely to reduce any risk of choking, which can be a problem with dementia.
Prep time:20 minutes
Cooking time:25-30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 20-cm cake tins.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and smooth. Add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add each egg one at a time, mixing to incorporate them into the batter.
- Add the espresso and stir in.
- Add the flour and walnuts and fold into the batter.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, beat the butter until pale and smooth. Gradually add the icing, then mix in the dissolved coffee granules.
- Spread half the icing on to one sponge, sandwich the other sponge on top and cover it with icing. Decorate with walnut halves.
For the cake
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 50ml cold espresso shot
- 225g self-raising flour
- 75g walnuts, very finely chopped
For the butter icing
- 125g unsalted butter
- 225g icing sugar
- 3 teaspoons coffee granules dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
- walnut halves, to decorate
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.