Chicken pieA hearty, old-fashioned pie always warms the heart. Chicken is rich in zinc and protein, and when minced, not only feels light, it also titillates jaded palettes.
Prep time:about 30 minutes
Cooking time:about 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan oven) gas 6.
- Grease a 25.5cm (10in) pie dish.
- Put the onions, garlic, chicken, lemon juice, fresh herbs and pepper into a food processor or mincer and mince until you have a mixture that resembles chunky sausage meat.
- Roll out half the pastry and line the pie dish.
- Put in the chicken mixture and spread it level.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and put it on top.
- Squeeze the edges together.
- Cut a couple of slits in the middle of the pie to allow steam to escape while it’s cooking.
- Brush the pie with the egg, and bake for 50 minutes–1 hour until the pastry is golden brown.
If you make your own pastry you could use half white and half wholemeal flour.
- butter, for greasing
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 500g cooked chicken meat, breast and legs
- juice of 1 lemon
- a few leaves of fresh sage or a few sprigs of parsley
- ground black pepper
- 375g shortcrust pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 egg, beaten
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.