Cheese fluffThis is a quick-to-throw-together meal, turning three ingredients into a delicious supper – for when you’re not in the mood or haven't got the energy to make anything more complicated. Cheese and eggs are both great sources of protein, but the reason I particularly love this is that the whisked eggs feel light on the stomach.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cooking time:8-10 minutes
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg white until fluffy and firm, in other words, until you have stiff peaks that will hold. Turn the bowl over on to a clean surface while you prepare the rest of the meal – this means that the egg white will remain fluffy!
- Heat your grill and toast the bread on one side, then turn over and lightly butter the untoasted side.
- Lightly beat the egg yolk.
- Turn over the egg white bowl and lightly (this is important, because you want to keep as much air in the mixture as possible, as this makes the cheese mixture light and fluffy – hence the name) stir in the grated cheese, mustard, a couple of twists of black pepper and the egg yolk – I use a metal spoon and make simple cuts through the middle, and don’t beat.
- Simply spoon the cheese mixture on to the untoasted side of the bread and pop back under the grill for about 2 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Eat straightaway, either on its own, or with thinly sliced deep red tomatoes on top.
- 1 large egg, separated
- 4 slices of wholegrain bread
- a scraping of butter
- 50g mature cheddar or other hard cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.