A childhood favourite which turns a simple vegetable into a delicious meal. The cheese sauce makes this classic dish very easy to eat, with each mouthful rich in calories.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cooking time:45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish that is large enough to hold the cauliflower in one layer.
- Steam or boil the cauliflower for 5-6 minutes until just tender, then drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute, without browning.
- Remove from the heat and gradually beat in the milk.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes until the sauce is thickened and creamy.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in 75g Cheddar cheese and the mustard. Season with nutmeg and pepper.
- Put the cauliflower in the dish and pour over the sauce.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and the remaining Cheddar cheese, and sprinkle evenly over the cauliflower and sauce.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned and bubbling. Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley.
If using non-dairy milk, butter and cheese, you might want to add sautéed mushrooms and herbs to the sauce to add extra flavour.
- 1 large white cauliflower and 1 large green cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
- 25g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 25g plain flour
- 600ml whole milk
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, or 1 teaspoon English mustard
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- 25g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley, to serve
Liked this recipe and others? Or simply have a question? Let us know over on our forum.
If you have any questions regarding our recipes you can find us and our community over on the forum. Get involved in lots of recipe and health discussions.