Bright green and full of nutritious goodness, this soup is comforting, satisfying, without being too heavy. This soup is delicious also served slightly chilled. Peas are a great source of fibre yet gentle on the gut when cooked and pureed in this soup.
Preparation time: about 15 minutes
Cooking Time: about 25 minutes
splash of olive oil
1 small leek, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 stick of celery, finely chopped
1 small potato, peeled and chopped
1 litre vegetable stock (organic vegetable bouillon is best)
large handful of washed spinach
250g frozen peas
For the croutons:
wholemeal, rye or all-in-one bread, torn into small chunks
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon ground seed mix
splash of olive or nut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4.
- Set a medium-sized pan over a good heat and add your oil, leek, carrot and celery and gently fry until soft.
- Add the potato and stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the spinach and peas and simmer until the peas are cooked but still bright green (approx. 5 minutes).
- While you are waiting for the soup to cook through, put all the crouton ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Tip everything onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 10 minutes until golden and crispy.
- When the soup is ready, blitz until smooth and then serve with the croutons floating on top.
If you fancy, you could add a sprinkle of ground seeds when you serve the soup.
For non-vegetarians, it’s also delicious to add shredded ham at the end.