Delicious, easy to make, moreish pancakes-perfect for a brunch, pudding, or small energy rich snack.
Preparation time: about 15 minutes
Cooking Time: about 10 minutes
Makes 6–10 small pancakes
60g buckwheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, separated
handful of blueberries, slightly squashed
50g chopped prunes
butter for greasing the pan
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk and egg yolks together in another bowl, then add to the flour and mix. Do not worry about the odd lump, but take care not to overmix as this will make the pancakes tough.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold into the mixture.
- Add the blueberries and prunes.
- Just a gentle stir through will make sure they are mixed in without letting out any air.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and spoon in a little of the batter. How much depends on how big you like your pancakes!
- Cook for 1–2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Keep going until all the mixture is used up.
- Serve with maple syrup and some fresh fruit of your choice.
You can add a couple of tablespoons of ground seeds to the mixture if you wish. The pancakes freeze well.